Different Types of Sexual Abuse - Talk to a mental health expert online
The recent gang rape incident has incited a public outcry in Pakistan. Sexual assault can be extremely traumatizing for a woman, physically as well as mentally. Research shows that some form of professional intervention early on quickens the recovery process. You don’t have to go through it alone. If you feel like you need to talk to someone, ask for help. A convenient way of getting in touch with a healthcare professional discreetly would be to find a physician online. Download a doctor’s app and book an online doctor appointment at your convenience. Get professional help from the safety of your own home.
How can I find a physician I can talk to about sexual abuse?
Studies show that most individuals with psychiatric issues, abuse survivors, PTSD patients actually prefer online therapy sessions or therapy over the phone. The option of not having to ‘face someone’ for help physically provides a sense of comfort, safety and confidence. You can easily find a physician or therapist online by downloading an online doctor app on your smartphone.
Online healthcare services are quickly expanding in Pakistan. A large proportion of primary healthcare and mental health services are being provided remotely, even more so since the pandemic hit. Someone who has gone through trauma needs readily available support and what better way to access help than a doctor’s app. Find a physician and book an online doctor appointment at your convenience.
Working with an online physician is not only convenient but safe too. You don’t have to look at or be looked at if you’re not comfortable with that. Talk on text, over the phone or emails. The choice is entirely yours.
Fast facts on rape
Stats show that 70% of women experience some form of sexual or physical violence from their partners at least once in their lifetime and 93% of women experience some form of sexual harassment in a public space. The fact that sexual violence has been downplayed for so long has led to an increase in sex crimes across the country.
Punjab is the largest province of Pakistan and unfortunately has been the epicenter of rape cases in recent years. According to a report compiled by the Punjab Commission on the Status of Women (2017), 10000 cases of rape were reported in the last three and a half years. The rate of conviction of rape cases is only 3%.
What does ‘sexual abuse’ mean?
Sexual abuse refers to any form of sexual violence, including rape, child molestation, incest, and similar forms of non-consensual sexual contact. Most survivors concur with the fact that crimes of sexual violence are not only about sex. Sex crimes are power crimes. Most perpetrators strike when their victim is most vulnerable in an attempt to gain control over their bodies.
Different types of sexual violence
Sexual abuse is a generalized term that covers different types of sexual crimes.
Rape. Forced sexual contact with someone who can’t or doesn’t give consent. It still counts as rape if the person is intoxicated, not of legal adult age or even in an established relationship without consent. The latter is called date rape or marital rape.
- Child molestation. Forced sexual contact with a minor or child. Most children are too young to understand what’s happening to them or they’re threatened to not speak up. Perpetrators are often someone they know and are comfortable with. Someone they trust.
- Incest. Forced sexual contact between close family members. This is often reported as child abuse.
- Non-consensual sexual contact. Sexual abuse is not only restricted to intercourse. Inappropriate touching, pinching, groping are all forms of sexual abuse.
- Non-contact sexual abuse. Inappropriate sexual verbal communications or actions such as making sexual comments or remarks is a form of sexual abuse.
If you think you have experienced any of the above, know that it is never too late to ask for help. You don’t have to move forward alone. There is absolutely no shame in asking for help. If you can’t bring yourself to go for help, bring the help to you. Find a physician on your phone and schedule an online consultation. Discuss your physical and psychological injuries with someone you can trust.
Most online healthcare systems are safe and secure platforms that ensure patient-doctor confidentiality. Download an online doctor app on your smartphone and find a physician to talk to today!
The psychological impact of sexual trauma
Rape or other acts of sexual abuse mostly (not limited to) affects women. The impact the trauma can have on someone goes beyond physical injuries. It can leave you confused, scared, ashamed, dirty, guilty and all sorts of negative emotions. A mental health expert can help you deal with these feelings and overcome them. Find a physician online today.
How to heal from sexual trauma?
The earlier the intervention begins the better for the patient. The first step to healing from such trauma is to understand that none of this was your fault. Stop blaming yourself or feeling guilty that you caused this, because you didn’t. After you accept this truth, you become more receptive to help. Here are some things you can do to begin your journey to recovery.
- Confide in someone you trust. Gather a support system you can lean on in vulnerable times.
- Get professional help. Therapy is proven to help overcome symptoms of PTSD, anxiety and depression. Working with a mental health expert can be an educational and fulfilling experience.
- Don’t focus on your weakness, focus on your strengths. Harness your strengths and use them to propel yourself.
- Find something productive to do. Don’t spend time alone as much as you may feel that way.
- You are likely to experience symptoms of PTSD such as flashbacks, nightmares, disturbed sleep and tremors. Pay attention to your triggers. Try writing down specific details that trigger your symptoms and consciously try avoiding them or work to alleviate them.
- Help others who went through what you went through. There is healing in helping others.
If you want to find a physician then download the Mylivedoctors app on your smartphone and schedule an online doctor appointment. Get the help you need from the safety and convenience of your own home.