GET WEIGHT LOSS ADVICE FROM THE BEST DOCTORS ONLINE IN LAHORE
There has been a lot of talk about COVID-19 in the context of it affecting people with underlying health issues more aggressively as compared to people without pre-existing conditions and better health in general. Obesity is underrated and it is an underlying health condition. If you’re looking for some motivation to lose weight and get your health back on track, then download an online doctor app on your phone and find the best doctors online in Lahore. Get professional help from home!
Fast facts on obesity
- According to the WHO, around 13% of the global population (aged 18 years and above) is obese.
- 15% are women
- The prevalence of obesity increased from 30.5% to 42.4% in the past couple of years
- Most of the obesity-related health conditions such as diabetes and stroke are preventable
If you have an underlying health condition, contact your primary healthcare provider and make sure you’re showing up for regular follow-ups. If you live in Lahore, you can find the best online doctors in Lahore and get monitored at home.
How do I find the best doctor online in Lahore?
This might be a good opportunity for you to focus on wellness. A quick and convenient way to get expert medical advice from the safety of your home during these unprecedented times is by downloading an online doctor app. Find the best doctors online in Lahore to not only help you shed some extra pounds but be your support system throughout your weight loss journey.
When worldwide obesity has tripled in the past 40 years or so, you know it’s a growing health concern. According to a WHO report, ‘most of the world’s population live in countries where overweight and obesity kill MORE people than malnutrition’. Isn’t that crazy?
Are you overweight or obese?
The terms overweight and obesity are often used interchangeably because most people don’t know the difference between the two. Regardless of which category you fall into, you are subject to abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may impair health.
What is BMI?
BMI or body mass index is a standardized formula of weight-for-height and is used to classify overweight and obesity in adults. It is calculated by using a person's weight in kilograms divided by the square of his height in meters (kg/m2).
BMI is a useful indicator of overweight and obesity for adults since it is the same for adults of all ages. For adults:
- You are overweight with a BMI greater than or equal to 25
- You are obese with a BMI greater than or equal to 30
Calculate your BMI and see which range you belong to. If you are overweight or obese, you are at a higher risk of developing obesity-related complications such as diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease. Find the best doctors online in Lahore with an online doctor app and book an online doctor’s appointment. Learn more about BMI and its implications online from a healthcare professional.
For children, however, you must consider age as another parameter to calculate the BMI. There are standard growth charts and tables developed by the WHO that pediatricians use as a reference for child growth. They are used to assess the growth pattern in children under 5 years of age and those from 5-19.
Having a normal BMI is extremely important to avoid and prevent obesity-related complications such as heart disease and stroke and diabetes. For expert medical guidance download Mylivedoctors, an online doctor app, and find the best doctors online in Lahore to help you get your health back on track! Look up your doctor on the panel of qualified healthcare professionals and book an online doctor appointment today! The best part is that it’s FREE!
What causes obesity?
Consuming food high in fat and sugar is bound to take a toll on your health. Excess calories or energy that isn’t used utilized or excreted from the body are stored as fat. Obesity can occur at any age and affect any race and sex.
Some factors other than unhealthy eating habits that contribute to obesity are:
- Genetics. If your parents or a first-degree relative are obese, you're at a higher risk of becoming obese too. Food and eating patterns are passed on through generations. Genetics also plays a role in hormonal regulation of fat metabolism. For instance, individuals who are deficient in leptin hormone tend to eat more. Inadequate production of leptin fails to signal the brain to ‘eat less’ when the body has sufficient fat reserves and results in weight gain.
- Medication. Weight gain is most commonly seen with insulin, sulfonylureas, and thiazolidinediones used to manage diabetes. Antidepressants, anti-convulsant, and hormones such as steroids and birth control pills also contribute to weight gain. If you take any of the mentioned medicines, you might want to talk to your healthcare provider on how to manage the weight gain. Find the best doctors online in Lahore or any city across Pakistan with an online doctor app.
- Inactive lifestyle. People who don’t get much exercise and have unhealthy eating habits are more likely to gain weight and become obese.
- Stress. At a time like this, stress levels are high. People are resorting to emotional eating and are developing negative eating habits in the process. Excessive eating is common in situations such as boredom, depression, and anger, a phenomenon often referred to as ‘binge eating’.
- Hormonal imbalance. Endocrine disorders may lead to weight gain. Common conditions include Cushing's syndrome, hypothyroidism, insulin resistance, and polycystic ovary syndrome.
What are the symptoms of obesity?
Here are some obesity-related symptoms that you may experience:
- Increasing fatigue
- Shortness of breath
- Increased sweating with minimal activity
- Inability to bear sudden physical activity
- Joint pains especially in weight-bearing joints such as knees and back
- Low self-esteem and a low level of confidence
If you can relate to any of these symptoms, you need professional help. Book an online doctor’s appointment at your convenience and find the best doctors online in Lahore to help you get your health back on track.
The signs of obesity become evident as soon as the first couple of pounds are gained. Unfortunately, once the effects of obesity are put into motion, it becomes more difficult to carry out routine tasks.
Here is some common obesity-related health:
- High cholesterol levels
- Type 2 diabetes
- Hypertension or high blood pressure
- Coronary heart disease
How you can help yourself?
The first step is to find a way to help yourself at home. Mylivedoctors is a great tool to have on your smartphone. Find the best doctors online in Lahore, ask questions, and receive expert medical advice without going to a hospital.